No matter what it looks like for your family, the school year can be an exciting time. Though school has already begun it is never too late to sit down with our children and review how they can stay safe while traveling to and from campus.
The school year leads to busier roads as parents and students make their morning and afternoon commute. As a result, it is crucial to remind students who will be pedestrians of the following things:
- Never walk or bike while distracted
- Look both ways before crossing any street
- Walk on the sidewalk if one is available
- Only cross the street at crosswalks
- Don’t push or shove others while walking on the sidewalk or near a road
Driving to School Safety
Whether you are driving your child or they are driving themselves, there are key safety precautions to follow while on the way to school:
- Don’t allow yourself to be distracted.
- Know the school’s drop off and pick up procedures and obey all school zone traffic laws
- Always keep an eye out for pedestrians
- Give school buses plenty of space
- Never pass a school bus that is loading or unloading students
Though school buses are already designed to be one of the safest modes of transport for your children, there are additional steps they can take to further improve their safety:
- Stay at least 5 feet away from the curb while at the bus stop
- Wait for the bus to come to a complete stop and for the driver’s signal before entering or exiting the bus
- Face forward and remain seated while the bus is moving
- Wear a seatbelt if they are provided
- Always look both ways for cars before exiting the school bus and crossing the street
Brooks LeBoeuf would like to wish everyone the best as the school year continues. We are here for you if you ever need us! Click Here to learn more about our team of Florida Attorneys and how they can help you when you have too much at stake on your case.
To explore the resources that we used to make this article follow the links below: