Adults who are under the age of 21 can drive and serve in the military, but they cannot drink alcohol. For college students or anyone else below the age of 21, the idea of getting alcohol by using fake IDs gives them an adrenaline rush and is something they may be considering. As a parent, it is important to let your children know to be careful and exercise good judgment.
As a college student, you need to know that even though this may be something “exciting” to do, it is still a crime in Florida. For some lucky individuals, the worst that happens to them is that their fake ID is confiscated by the shop or bar manager. For others, however, it is not the same and the consequences are more severe.
Let us share key information with you right here. According to Florida law, it is illegal to manufacture, possess, or display fake IDs. Under Florida Statute § 322.212, “It is unlawful for any person to knowingly have in his or her possession or to display any blank, forged, stolen, fictitious, counterfeit, or unlawfully issued driver license or identification card or any instrument in the similitude of a driver license or identification card.”
The consequences are further described by the statute to potentially be:
- Possession of a fake ID is a third-degree felony, and the person convicted for it can be charged with up to 5 years in prison and a fine of $5000.
- If you are involved in the selling, issuing or offering of an ID card or any document that carries an age which does not have sufficient proof, it is a felony.
- Misguiding a police officer by giving them a false name, or using a fake ID while you are being arrested or detained, constitutes a first-degree misdemeanor. If found guilty, you can spend a maximum of 1 year In jail and a fine of $1000.
- If you are convicted of using someone else’s ID or driver’s license, which is a second-degree misdemeanor, you can be sentenced to 60 days in jail and a $500 fine.
- Giving your ID card or driver’s license to someone else is a second-degree misdemeanor.
No matter what your age, if you have been charged with possession of a fake ID, you could face severe consequences. These consequences can impact not just your education, but your future career as well.
We are experienced in handling this type of crime right here in Tallahassee. We encourage you to contact our law firm 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and let our experienced criminal defense team meet with you for a free case evaluation. Nothing is more important to us than helping you with this issue.